. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thursday, July 14, 2011

"Opa" Bill Stone - 8/23/27 - 7/1/11

Hi All - I'm sure most of you heard, but my Opa passed away almost 2 weeks ago of a massive heart attack and we traveled to FL to be with my family and attend the funeral.  He was super healthy and this was completely unexpected.  My Opa was a wonderful man.  He was kind, funny, honorable, a gentleman, and the list could go on and on and on.  He had great stories and talking with him would always bring a smile to your face.  Please pray for my Omi and family in Florida, as this is going to be a very hard adjustment for them.  My Omi and Opa were out dancing right before he had his heart attack and the last dance they had was a German Waltz "Ich tanze mit dir in den Himmel hinein" which translates to "I'm dancing with you into Heaven".  Isn't that crazy and amazing all at the same time?  Below is the obituary: 

Bill Stone, 83, our Beloved Husband, Dad and Opa, went to be with our LORD on July 1, 2011 in Punta Gorda Fl. Bill was born on August 23, 1927, in Manchester, KY to Maggie and C.L. Stone. He served in the US Army, retiring as a Sgt. Major, after 30 years of honorable service. During his time of service, he completed 3 tours in Vietnam as a US Paratrooper in Special Forces. 

Bill was married to his loving wife, Ilse for 40 years and will be greatly missed by his daughters ~ Marianna Cassidy and husband Dave, Barbara Davis and husband Mark, Linda James and husband John. His grandchildren: Clayton Cassidy, his wife Lindsey; Heather Bern, her husband Blake, and his great, grandson Boston. He was a wonderful Opa! 











This is an old blog post that has my Opa making Boston really laugh.  I'm so glad we have this memory captured on camera:  Belly Laugh


And below are a few pictures from our week in Florida.  I didn't have my camera out much, but these are mostly pics from our boat outing.  It was pretty much the worst day EVER.  I'll spare you all the details, but we basically got stranded on an island for over 2 hours with Boston, my Omi (who has a bad back), and my Uncle who doesn't like the water.  The boat wouldn't start so we hung out on the boat/beach.  Then Blake cut his foot on the prop and the Coast Guard was involved.  The boat finally started and we were on our way, but Blake had to go to the ER for 10 stitches when we got back.  Thank goodness my sister in law, Lindsey, was on board.  She is a nurse and was a huge help!!


Tatum and Bo
 Omile and Bo
 Omi and Bo
 Bo and PaPa - co-captains
 Filet a Foot
 Lindsey, Blake and me
 3 generations.  My Mom, Me and Omi
 The hubs and me - finally heading home from our awesome day on Gasperilla Island

2 comments:

Dustin & Kate said...

Oh Heather, I'm so sorry for your loss. Not everyone is as close to their grandparents as you are to yours. I know how tough it is to lose a beloved grandparent. And I LOVED your grandparents when we were kids. Such joyful people. When I read about your grandparents' last dance, it made me cry. What a remarkable way for God to speak to them right before calling Opa home! Hugs to your entire family!

Anonymous said...

Again, my deepest sympathies to all of you. Your post was very special and it made me cry. I adore the pictures! What a truly special man. May he reign with the angels as he looks over you from heaven. I know he loved you very much!!!! I continue to pray for all of you. Xoxo love, steph